Wednesday, September 28, 2011

my greatest fear after graduatiom

My greatest fear after college is a fear that I think haunts many recent college grads. It was something that gnawed at me constantly. Before I even walked across that stage and accepted my diploma, there it was, looming in the back of my head. Would my greatest fear be realized as I headed into the real world? Would I have to succumb to its’ menacing talons? I dreaded that indeed I would.

My greatest fear after college was that I would be put in a box; not necessarily a literal physical box, but a cubical comes very close. My greatest fear was a lack of happiness. I wanted to be happy, fulfilled, challenged, and joyous with what I decided to do for a living. My greatest fear is that I would be stuck in a career doing the same boring work each and every day. And I feel that many, many, MANY people resign to this fear. They resign to life. They say: “ok life you win. Debt, stress, and other personal fears have won.”

I feel so many people end up resigning to this fear. After college a lot of pivotal decisions are made that can dictate the course of your future. You may get a great paying job; and it may also suck the life right out of you. Or you may not be able to find a good paying job, so you end up in a job you hate just to pay the bills. No bueno.

This was the fear I dreaded. It hasn’t come to fruition and I feel I’m on a great track to avoid those talons I mentioned before. But I’d like to know if I’m alone or not on this one.

Has anyone else feared this? Has anyone else felt this way?

0 comments: